Our School History
Here is a brief history of St Thomas’s Primary School
The original school was in Heath Road and opened in 1851.
The accommodation was for 200 boys, 150 girls and 50 infants.
Two members of staff were appointed!
It was called St. Thomas’s National School and was built at a cost of £859.
The building was in the form of a St. George’s Cross with the rooms divided by wooden partitions.
Most of the pupils came from the Sunday School which already existed and many of the children came from parents who worked at the hinge-making works opposite the school.
Originally there were open fireplaces. The lighting was gas.
A new infant building was built further down Heath Road.
All the children over 11 now went to the Grammar School or the Senior School. later called the Modern School.
The Junior School now provided for children from 7 to 11.
This started just two weeks before war broke out and for a time only half the children could go to school until air-raid shelters had been constructed.
Under the 1944 Education Act the school became an Aided School.
The new school building was erected on Hodnet Drive at a cost of £228,320.
The building was opened by the Bishop of Warrington in 1979.
This building replaced the old Junior and Infant Buildings in Heath Road.
The new Y2 classroom was built to deliver the Government’s Pledge that no child in KS1 should be in classes of more than 30.