Helping Children to become Readers!
Our philosophy at St Thomas’ is we foster a love of reading. Every child experiences a wide range of reading material allowing them to read for pleasure and for information. Children read widely and often. There are level books to practice reading skills, guided sessions with an adult, library books for pleasure, class readers and class book areas.
Website links for further information:
The Power of Reading
- Creating a love of reading in children is one of the most powerful ways of improving academic standards in school.
- A reading family is a learning and thinking family.
- There can be few better ways to improve pupils’ chances in school, or beyond in the wider world than to enable them to become truly independent readers.
- Reading is all about acquiring meaning; i.e. for enjoyment, information and understanding.
- It is not a performance.
- It is not a test – every time you finish a book, do you always choose a harder one next time?